Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rhubarb Muffins


We had a heap of rhubarb growing at the community garden, so I diced some up and froze them to use at a later date. And this recipe is where they mostly end up. I find it really needs the addition of the spices to give it extra zing. One day I would like to try this recipe with some orange zest, but I never seem to have one lying around when I need it.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb (I add them pre-chopped straight from my freezer)
  • 2 teaspoons of spices ( I grind my own mixture of cardamom, cloves and cinnamon, but use what you like. I like to go quite heavy on the cardamom)
Also, if you have a very sweet tooth you can sprinkle over a cinnamon sugar mixture (1tsp cinnamon with 2 Tbsp white sugar) before baking. However I often prefer to make them without the topping.

Method:

Heat oven to 180 Celsius, and grease or line 12 muffin cups.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, oil, vanilla, and egg. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the rhubarb.
Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar, if desired.

Bake for 20-25min until light golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!