Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Gold Kiwifruit Muffins































If you watched a tv show called Shortland Street during the 90s, then you might remember the name "Lionel Skeggins"- though you may not want to admit it. Lionel worked at a cafe near the hospital, had a relationship with crazy-lady Mackenzie, and most memorably, disappeared mysteriously...dun dun dunnn. Shortland Street is one of those naff tv shows that are so predictable that you can tune in and out yet still not struggle to follow the storyline. But despite how naff it is, I will admit it, I watch it. So as soon as I spotted this Shortland Street themed cookbook I laughed out loud, which was rather embarrassing since I was at the public library. The tag line on the back of the book proclaims: "Straight from Lionel's trolley...Rocky Road Muffin, Pecan Muffins, [etc], these taste sensations have completely won over the staff and patients of Shortland Street. You will find them irresistible too." How cheesy is that? Anyhow I am easily amused so I gave the book a whirl. So here is my version of "Lionel's kiwifruit muffins"; I adapted the recipe and chose to use gold kiwifruit as I prefer their delicate custard-like flavour, added a lemon curd centre and I also switched the sugar from brown sugar to vanilla sugar so as to enhance the gold kiwifruit flavour. These are a huge hit at my place and I have made a few other recipes from the book, all delicious. So despite the kitsch outlook, the book actually has some substance...unlike the programme.


Ingredients:
  • 50g butter
  • 200ml milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup chopped gold kiwifruit
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup vanilla sugar (caster sugar infused with vanilla) or regular caster sugar
  • lemon curd for optional filling

Method:

Melt the butter, then mix it into the milk and eggs.
Add the remaining ingredients. Fold briefly, until just combined.
Spoon half the mixture into 12 greased or lined muffin pans. Place a teaspoon dollop of lemon curd onto each, then spoon remaining muffin mixture on top.
Bake at 200 Celsius for 20-25 minutes.

- recipe adapted from "Lionel's Muffins" (recipes developed by Vicki Hoffmann)

2 comments:

  1. hahahah "the book actually has some substance...unlike the programme" :)

    they look great!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have to make Xmas cookies for work, they are doing a Xmas cookie exchange, so you bring cookies in and can swap with other people....any advice (need something easy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try making rosemary cookies (recipe here), they are super easy and would look xmasy if you use star cookie cutters or whatever. But if you don't have cutters just roll the dough into a log shape and cut off round slices.
    They are so surprisingly yummy.

    Either way, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!